On Friday night over 60 residents gathered at St. Columba’s church to put their questions to representatives from First, provider of Crosspool’s 51 bus service.
Almost 30 questions were taken from the floor and answered by First’s commercial manager Adam Timewell and business manager John Eardley.
Issues and comments that were covered include:
- the impact of the tramline repairs and Charnock roadworks on the service
- changes can be expected in September, including a full fleet of new double decker buses on the 51 route; exploring the possibility of splitting the route so buses from this end turn round at the markets then come back; improving punctuality with particular problems regarding accessibility on West Street (outbound);
- concerns about the safety of passengers boarding the bus on Mappin Street
- a named Route Manager for the 51 is to be introduced by the spring
- attempts to solve the problem of bunching buses, which is acknowledged as a management rather than timetabling issue
- whether other companies could also run buses on the route, like the 52 service
Adam and John have agreed to attend the next Crosspool Forum Open Meeting on 31 July to report back on their progress.