Tapton Hill Streets Ahead work hit by delays

Streets Ahead improvements have been delayed in Tapton Hill
Streets Ahead improvements have been delayed in Tapton Hill

Crosspool residents living on Tapton Hill  are receiving notifications from Streets Ahead notifying them of delays to the improvements and new dates for when work will take place.

On Monday 5 August, work commenced a month later than planned on Vernon Terrace, Ryegate Road, Ryegate Crescent and Bosville Road. People living on these streets should have received a letter about this.

Lydgate Lane residents were expecting work to begin at night on 12 and 15 August, but this has been delayed and will instead take place Monday 19 to Friday 23 August 2013 between 7am and 7pm. Cars will be diverted, although access for pedestrians and emergency vehicles will be available at all times.

After a review of road conditions in the area, Cross Lane will now also be resurfaced. Residents will be informed by letter once a date is confirmed.

Underground cabling issues have meant that installation of new street lighting in Tapton Hill will start in November with a projected completion date of January. The heritage lights which are due to be installed in the Broomhill conservation area are on order. Pavements will be resurfaced as street lights are replaced.

Tapton Hill Streets Ahead schedule

Bullet points from Crosspool Forum Open Meeting, 26 July 2012

Below is a bullet point summary of Thursday’s meeting you can also download a PDF copy (74KB).

Bullet points from Crosspool Forum Open Meeting, 26 July 2012

25 Crosspool residents, Cllr Geoff Smith, and 7 members of the Forum Management Committee attended. A  guest gave a  presentations :.

Matters arising

from April meeting –  none.

Police report

PCSOs Phil Whitaker & Tony Hizam. (for  Louise);

  1. Fire incident, Tapton School, caretakers’ lodge.
  2. Watt Lane burglaries – thieves targeting houses with Audis & BMWs, to get the car keys.
  3. Car air bag thefts (so the steering wheel is taken as well) – again same make of car. Residents are advised to cover the wheel with a disc lock. Available at cost from Ecclesfield Police Station (321 The Common, A6135) or motoring shops.
  4. Tavern Garage complaints; the service station appears to be exceeding its working hours & overlapping the pavement & highway – dangerous equipment such as a hoist used too close to pedestrians. Cllr Smith will liaise with PC Atha & the Council about this.
  5. Ongoing & new police ‘ops’ – Crosspool & Fulwood anti-burglary & car crime; and next week the start of a force-wide scrap metal collecting van operation.

Letter from Deputy PM Nick Clegg and responses

After a recent Meeting at Hallam Football Ground Ian Hague presented Mrr Clegg with some pertinent local questions. Emailed responses having been received, these are as follows:

  1. Government policy on school catchment areas? Sadly the higher number of Lydgate Primary School catchment children this September than the places physically available has meant 48 children will not get their first choice. (In 2013 there appear to be far fewer children of this age range, but from ’14 on the problem may arise again).
  2. Local roads – shocking state of; Cllr Smith said any immediate concerns (potholes etc.) are still to go to Streetforce.
    The PFI Highways initiative will not start until later this year and will, after liaison with the utilities in any given area, be operationally-driven.
    The first 5 years  will cover bringing the Sheffield highways network up to standard; pavements, street lighting, road reconstruction & tree management etc., cost 2billion (£800million (Council) & £1.2 billion (Government), & be followed by continued maintenance throughout the remaining 20 years of the contract . Residents will be able to a certain extent suggest replacement trees for any removed as causing obstructions. We must accept this will be “incredibly disruptive” to the city.
  3. Public Transport – getting people back on the buses! Some £56 million is going into local transport, & there will be new low-carbon buses – but not necessarily on the no. 51 route. In Oct the route will change slightly (avoiding Mappin St) & First Buses has pledged to have more buses & drivers available to match the timetable. It is known there are 6 Crookes buses, & 3 Fulwood ones, to every Crosspool/Lodge moor no. 51.
  4. Historic buildings? Jeremy Hunt (Culture Secretary)replied to Mr Clegg & Cllr Rob Frost but just said although he has a duty to compile a list of buildings of special architectural or historical value, this did not necessarily prevent their alteration or demolition. ( There appears to be nothing more to be said about Moor View Farm, Manchester Rd,  at the moment).
  5. Monopolies Commission & a new Sainsbury’s at Broomhill? A question as raised as to why Sainsbury is apparently being granted permission to build another store here.
  6. Vernon Tce bus shelter – as the site is too narrow this can never go ahead.

Councillors and SWCA report

Geoff Smith was asked to look into why Veolia will only accept card payments for the purchase of green waste bagsthis year.

The ‘20s Plenty’ scheme has decided to designate the ‘Steel Bank area (Crookes, Commonside, Walkley) for the signage to make it a 20 zone, though this may take a year to implement.

Events

Crosspool Festival Week – Rev France Eccleston said this had been very successful – & we had two dry weekends!-  Some £1524 was raised for the Ryegate Child centre Fund. Residents were asked to contact the committee if they wish to help nest year – the Open Gardens scheme will need a new organizer.

The Summer Fayre;  Ian Hague said  thiswent well – £726 was made, all to go back to the community. The Union flags in the precinct have proved very popular –  these were erected for the Jubilee and will stay up until the Olympics are over.

The Car Boot Sale was a wash-out this June, but it is hoped another can be held in September.

Disco – after the success of the Christmas one Ian is hoping to hold another.

Computer course; this has proved very popular again; Ian expects to hold more in Sep 2012 – names to him please. There will be a beginners’ course, advanced (internet) course, & possibly desk top publishing course.

Guest speaker

Kate Hill telling us about FunMeFit
Kate Hill telling us about FunMeFit

Kate Hill gave a presentation about her website – FunMeFit – a portal for the whole of Sheffield to get active, &  to share their activities on. She hopes to run a Fun Day on 16th Sep at Hallam Cricket Club to fund-raise for this.

 AOB

  1. The Crosspool bench (outside Guidos & by the bus shelter) is broken and badly needs repair; Tammy Barrass (SWCA) agreed to see if this could be  done .
  2. Manchester Rd roadworks (beyond Valleyside Garden Centre).  There have been chicanes & traffic lights for some weeks.but work is due to end by October.

The next Open Meeting will be Thurs, 25th October 2012. 7pm, St Columba’s.

Download minutes from Crosspool Forum Open Meeting, 26 July 2012 (PDF, 74KB)

Video: Nick Clegg answers questions at Crosspool Q&A

Deputy prime minister Nick Clegg answered Crosspool residents’ concerns at a constituency question-and-answer session on Friday.

Over the course of an hour in Hallam FC’s Sandygate clubhouse, the Sheffield Hallam MP responded to queries regarding the economy, jobs, the High Speed 2 rail link, the Leveson inquiry and the PFI project to renew and maintain Sheffield’s roads.

Questions were also asked about specific Crosspool issues. After describing their experience of travelling on the 51 bus route, one resident asked: What are the government’s plans to encourage provincial commuters to move back to using public transport? Watch the video below to hear Nick Clegg’s response:

He also responded to queries regarding the government’s policy on catchment area placements being within walking distance of local schools. Listen to his answer below (audio only):

The subject of the lack of bus shelter at the Vernon Terrace bus stop was also raised. Although local councillors are continuing to look into this, the deputy prime minister promised to also take it up.

Local residents had been invited to the Q&A via a leaflet through their letter box.

You can email our MP with your query using nickclegg@sheffieldhallam.org.uk.

Minutes from Crosspool Forum Open Meeting, 26 April 2012

Below is a bullet point summary of Thursday’s meeting.

Download April 26 2012 Open Meeting bullet points (PDF, 78KB)

Matters arising

Benty Lane junction still ongoing – information expected soon.

Police report

PC Louise Atha – team now part of “SWSNA” (rather than Broomhill Safer Neighbourhood Area); but still the same officers working the same area. Recent items of interest:

  1. Coop Travel armed robbery – ongoing CID enquiries;
  2. armed response op, Manchester Rd, one arrest.
  3. under-age alcohol purchases; of 17 premises tested 3 failed
  4. bogus callers – list available of phone numbers to check their identity
  5. burglaries & pedal-bike thefts – reminder to keep access locked!
  6. schoolchildren fighting in Crosspool – ongoing enquiries
  7. allotment break-ins; shed alarms now fitted & new gate; Operation Herbaceous in place. Anti-social behaviour down by 4% in this area!.

PCSO Garry Hizam – BlackBerry number 07584 617 200; he can call at residents’ homes with his Hermes unit to register possessions.

Insp. Deborah Pickering – new insp. For the team introduced herself.

Guest Speaker:- Andrew Peat

Andrew Peet (Neighbourhood Watch, Fulwood).

As it is better to deter burglars from targeting your house in the first place, once secure locks have been fitted the most sophisticated (& police backed) tool is a ‘glitter glue’ type liquid that can be used by householders to mark laptops, ceramic, jewellery, cameras, satnavs etc etc. People were asked to sign up with Andrew or Pat Wilkins – or later via Ian Hague – so a large order can be placed with the company SelectaDNA, for kits at £25 a time.

Each kit has a totally different ‘fingerprint’, and will mark up to 75 items permanently., with ‘readers’ able to then trace the item back to its owner of stolen. Large door/patio window stickers then advise potential criminals that a particular house is not worth breaking-into, and hopefully eventually insurance companies will take this into account when setting premiums.

Hillside Harvest

Nick & Eleanor Rousseau, & Claire Gregory, spoke about their grow-you-own cooperative, run from on 7 allotments on Hagg Hill. The last year & a half have seen them learn by experience, how to keep the mice off, how to make use of weeds for fertilizer, & how to grow a ‘permaculture’ system that works in harmony with nature & is low maintenance. They have a rota of local members who go together to work the land, and teach school groups etc how to do this in a sustainable fashion.

Councillors’ report

Cllr. Geoff Smith said:

  1. Hadfield Reservoir – unlikely to be on the final list of proposed building sites – no plans to decommission it. Lydgate – awaiting response that Nick Clegg requested about this.
  2. Vernon Tce; sadly this is now a ‘dead issue’
  3. 20s plenty road campaign; one 2o zone will be put in place in the SWCA area – but not necessarily in Crosspool.
  4. Moor View (Gosney’s )farm; despite very worrying letters to the effect that demolition will take place on 30th April, Geoff was positive no application had even been received to do this, & Kate Mansell (planning) knows this is an important heritage site for Crosspool.
  5. Green garden waste; from 23rd April people can purchase clear sacks at £1.20 each & once filled can telephone for 5-10 to be collected by the Council. This is just for 2012, as in ’13 the Council hopes to introduce green bins. (Flytipping is recognized as a possible isse because of this).
  6. Recycling; once the black bin become a fortnightly collection people can choose which blue bin to use for which recycling – as long as they do not mix their waste.

Events

Crosspool Festival; now in its 3rd year Sally Turnbull listed some of the events happening int he week 6th to 15th July – well dressing, open gardens, barn dance, organ recital, street market, cricket club open day, Tavern & Plough events, walks, harp recital, birds talk, gardeners’ question time, tea dance, harp recital etc! Residents will get a programme through their letterboxes in June.

Summer Fayre (14th July) – new events incl. Punch & Judy, American marching band & sumo wrestlers! Helpers please contact Ian Hague.

Car Boot Sale (16th June). – but not if its wet!

Queen’s Diamond Jubilee – look out for flags & flowers in the precinct!

 AOB

  1. Ian Hague was thanked for his organization of the recent Salford Quays trip; it is to be hoped they can be more!
  2. Paula Stacey is re-opening the Crosspool craft shop.
  3. A new Crosspool Women’s s Institute group has started – see Twitter (Or Paula)
  4. Computer course; names to Ian Hague please if you would like to join the new courses.
  5. Event for 21013; it is hoped to mark Sheffield’ first-ever bus route – being the 51 to Crosspool – early in 2013. Watch this space!

The next Open Meeting will be Thurs, 26th July 2012. 7pm, St Columba’s.

Download April 26 2012 Open Meeting bullet points (PDF, 78KB)

Bullet points from Crosspool Forum Open Meeting, Thursday 27 January 2011

Download as a Word document (30KB)

Matters arising & Chairman’s report

Unfortunately due to an unforeseen commitment, Ian was unable to be at Thursday’s meeting and sent his apologies.

In his absence the meeting was left in the capable hands of Roger, Chris and Steve.

  1. The usual spring-flowering bulbs were planted round Crosspool in the autumn of 2010.

Police report & incidents

  1. A new email etc newsletter is being produced by the Broomhill SNA; anyone interested can fill in a Neighbourhood News form & email/send it back to the police. Gary Hizam hopes to have enough forms to include one in the next edition of every Clarion.
  2. Watch out for an illegitimate door-to-door salesman ( – selling sticky tape & pens!); remember to check peoples’ ID.
  3. Recent police monitoring of the Crosspool shops caught a cannabis dealer. Residents are to report any suspicious behaviour to the Broomhill police on 296 4876 or use the 220 2020 number.
  4. There is a new anti-social behaviour car that patrols the streets at night; this can be deployed instantly once a problem is reported.
  5. Scrap-collecting vehicles; the scrap dealers are now targeting houses – eg flat roofs to porches & bay windows. Please report any suspicious van registration numbers for PC Louise Atha’s database.
  6. Vernon Tce in-bound bus –stop. After a meeting with the schools, PTE & police about the unruly behaviour of children waiting to catch a bus into town at the end of the school day, the PTE is considering whether to de-commission this stop during that time.
  7. Levels of crime; burglaries have been low but opportunistic car crime is still happening. (The Broomhill SNA has some packs of internal-use Smartwater still available).

Councillors’ Report (Sylvia Anginotti & Brian Holmes)

  1. Junction of Benty Lane/Manchester Rd/ Stephen Hill; a Highways Officer will survey this shortly.
  2. The crossroads formed by Sandygate Rd. Coldwell Lane and Carsick Hill Rd was the subject of a Tapton School survey, and a request made for a crossing here. This has been turned down.
  3. Pot holes; residents were requested to telephone Streetforce to report these (273 4567) as soon as possible. A large team is going round Sheffield filling them in.
  4. Despite the reduction in the amount of money available from the Government to repair all Sheffield’s roads (and it being 12 months behind schedule), this ‘fence to fence’ initiative will cover footpaths, verges, trees, street lighting & highways – and roads are already being prioritised for this work.

Treasurer’s Report & Crosspool Festival etc

The treasurer reported that the Crosspool Forum has 1 bank balance of £2430, having paid for last summer’s floral displays. The 2011 Crosspool Festival will of ahead again, starting on 2nd July with the Open Gardens, a ‘Crosspool’s got Talent’ show, a streetmarket (3rd), art exhibition (4th onwards), local walks, kids’ treasure hunt, folk evening, ceilidh, Summer Fayre at Coldwell Lane, and then ending with a Sunday open air service at Lydgate Green. Any ideas, art works for the exhibition and offers of help for the Festival and Fayre warmly welcomed.

Crosspool Harvest Project

After a difficult winter the Harvest organizers now have 20 families, both Lydgate Schools, and the Council on board. They hope to find a piece of suitable land, or several smaller sites, on which to start their small-scale, local food-growing cooperative. Please see crosspoolharvest.org.uk for further information.

AOB

  1. Tree removal on Den Bank – these were apparently diseased, but will be replaced.
  2. Ditto Stephen Drive – although one area appears to have been asphalted over!
  3. ‘Twenty is Plenty’ campaign; the decision whether our local streets should be a max. of 20mph has been delegated to the SWCA. Anyone wishing to see a particular street part of this should contact the Forum or their Councillors.
  4. Dog waste bins; there appears to be a problem with non-collecting of their pets’ waste again! The Council is hoping to order 100 more bins, but as these cost about £400 p.a. each this might need to wait.
  5. Council heavy pruning & clearing of the bench-area at the top of Stephen Hill. There was a suggestion the Forum might ‘adopt’ this bit if green space (like it has done of Hagg Copse).
  6. ‘Dig for Charity’ – a local King Edwards’ pupil, Alicia Cannon (12) is running a project selling 5 packets of veg seeds for £2.50 – profits to Weston Park Hospital. Please see her website digforcharity.co.uk for further details.

Next Open Meeting will be on Monday 9th May 2011, at St Columba’s, 7pm

Minutes from Crosspool Forum seventh AGM and Open Meeting, 28 October 2010

Below is a bullet point summary of Thursday’s meeting. Extended minutes can also be downloaded.

Download full AGM/Open Meeting minutes (Word document, 20KB)

Matters arising and Chairman’s report

  1. Second computer course (St Columba’s) very successful
  2. More spring bulbs have been planted. Christmas trees are expected to be erected in early December.
  3. Crosspool Forum website has really taken off – thank you to Robin Byles
  4. Another successful Summer Fayre and first-time Crosspool Festival; both are planned to continue next year – helpers and ideas please
  5. The Crosspool Harvest scheme has had some set backs but hopes to rally
  6. The Motor World site (Turner Investments) – planning officer recommends refusal
  7. The Forum Committee still has a vacancy for one more member.
  8. Treasurer’s Report and balance sheet was presented.
  9. Police report and incidents -PCSO Garry Hizam
  10. Graffiti artists have been making reparation – ‘restorative justice’
  11. The week beginning 1 November the police will be cracking-down on school childrens’ behaviour in the Crosspool shops area
  12. Operation Dark Night from 31 October to 5 November will target disruptive behaviour.

Environmental Enforcement Officer (Sheffield City Council) – Andrew Ashforth

  1. Crosspool shops and business correct waste-disposal project. All businesses must have special arrangements for the removal of their non-domestic waste, and ensure the rear of their property is kept clean and tidy, as well as the front.
  2. Scrap collecting vehicles – in four days Andrew has stopped and searched 6 of these. Householders (arranging for eg fridges to be removed) must ensure the company they deal with has the correct licence to do this work – or will be held liable of the item is then fly-tipped.
  3. Tyres are not to be put in skips – the skip companies will give advice on their disposal.
  4. Wheelie bins must be removed from the highway as soon as possible after emptying – residents can be fined if they persist in not doing so.
  5. Portable CCTV cameras – Sheffield City Council have a few available they can fix on lampposts to target fly-tipping sites.
  6. Nuisance bonfires on allotments to the rear of gardens; talk to the allotment association chair about getting all the allotment owners to have one big fire rather that lots of little ones, or composting the waste.
  7. Should residents wish to contact Andrew at the council, his telephone number is 0114 293 0347.

Garden Waste scheme (green bags)

This scheme is being phased out and shortly no more green bags will be available. After 8 November residents will need to phone up for the next date of full bag collection in this area, but from February 2011 a waxed/hessian bag scheme may be in place; these will be reuseable.

Anyone needing more green bags this autumn and winter – or indeed with far too many unused ones! – to contact the Clarion so these bags can be put to good use and not wasted.

Planning

  1. Vernon Terrace bus shelter – no further information.
  2. Crosspool Tavern old car park entrance – this should have been ‘greened over’ a year or so back – this will be chased up.
  3. Benty Lane/Manchester Road junction; an urgent Highways engineer’s visit is requested; a ‘no right turn’ onto Manchester Road sign, or mini roundabout is needed here.
  4. Crosspool Coffee Shop – an application to allow this to become a house has been accepted.

Download full AGM/Open Meeting 28 October 2010 minutes (Word document, 20KB)

PCSO Garry Hizam and Andrew Ashforth
PCSO Garry Hizam and Andrew Ashforth
Crosspool Forum AGM/Open Meeting
Crosspool Forum AGM/Open Meeting

Crosspool Forum seventh AGM and Open Meeting, 28 October 2010

You are invited to Crosspool Forum’s AGM and Open Meeting on Thursday night at St Columba’s Church. It starts at 7pm.

A provisional agenda is below. Come along to give your concerns on local issues to local councillors, the police and council officials.

Provisional agenda:Crosspool Forum seventh AGM and Open Meeting

28th October 2010, 7pm

AGM

  1. Chairs welcome
  2. Introduction of top table
  3. Apologies for absence
  4. Minutes of last meeting to be approved
  5. Matters arising
  6. Chairman’s report
  7. Treasurer’s report
  8. Election of Committee members
    No resignations or nomination received; nominations, four vacancies exist on the committee (15 members maximum)

Open Meeting

  1. Minutes of last meeting to be approved
  2. Matters arising
  3. Police Liaison
    In Louise’s absence, PCSO Garry Hizam will give an update on policing in the area
  4. Guest Speakers
    Andrew Ashforth (Environmental enforcement officer, guidance on how to keep within the law).
    Cllr. Brian Holmes (Community Assembly)
    Also hoping to attend, Carolyn Sleath (providing information on the BBC’s First Click Initiative locally)
    Other possible speakers: John Boyden (Community cohesion Manager)
    Andrew Revitt (Solicitor, Wills and Lasting  Powers of Attorney)
  5. Planning and Highways
    Bus shelter (Vernon Terrace)
    Grassing over of closed exit to Crosspool Tavern
    Benty Lane/Stephen Hill junction Questions and Answers with Councillors
  6. A.O.B

Download provisional agenda 28 Oct 2010 (Word document, 40KB)