Minutes from Crosspool Forum Open Meeting, 26 April 2012

Below is a bullet point summary of Thursday’s meeting.

Download April 26 2012 Open Meeting bullet points (PDF, 78KB)

Matters arising

Benty Lane junction still ongoing – information expected soon.

Police report

PC Louise Atha – team now part of “SWSNA” (rather than Broomhill Safer Neighbourhood Area); but still the same officers working the same area. Recent items of interest:

  1. Coop Travel armed robbery – ongoing CID enquiries;
  2. armed response op, Manchester Rd, one arrest.
  3. under-age alcohol purchases; of 17 premises tested 3 failed
  4. bogus callers – list available of phone numbers to check their identity
  5. burglaries & pedal-bike thefts – reminder to keep access locked!
  6. schoolchildren fighting in Crosspool – ongoing enquiries
  7. allotment break-ins; shed alarms now fitted & new gate; Operation Herbaceous in place. Anti-social behaviour down by 4% in this area!.

PCSO Garry Hizam – BlackBerry number 07584 617 200; he can call at residents’ homes with his Hermes unit to register possessions.

Insp. Deborah Pickering – new insp. For the team introduced herself.

Guest Speaker:- Andrew Peat

Andrew Peet (Neighbourhood Watch, Fulwood).

As it is better to deter burglars from targeting your house in the first place, once secure locks have been fitted the most sophisticated (& police backed) tool is a ‘glitter glue’ type liquid that can be used by householders to mark laptops, ceramic, jewellery, cameras, satnavs etc etc. People were asked to sign up with Andrew or Pat Wilkins – or later via Ian Hague – so a large order can be placed with the company SelectaDNA, for kits at £25 a time.

Each kit has a totally different ‘fingerprint’, and will mark up to 75 items permanently., with ‘readers’ able to then trace the item back to its owner of stolen. Large door/patio window stickers then advise potential criminals that a particular house is not worth breaking-into, and hopefully eventually insurance companies will take this into account when setting premiums.

Hillside Harvest

Nick & Eleanor Rousseau, & Claire Gregory, spoke about their grow-you-own cooperative, run from on 7 allotments on Hagg Hill. The last year & a half have seen them learn by experience, how to keep the mice off, how to make use of weeds for fertilizer, & how to grow a ‘permaculture’ system that works in harmony with nature & is low maintenance. They have a rota of local members who go together to work the land, and teach school groups etc how to do this in a sustainable fashion.

Councillors’ report

Cllr. Geoff Smith said:

  1. Hadfield Reservoir – unlikely to be on the final list of proposed building sites – no plans to decommission it. Lydgate – awaiting response that Nick Clegg requested about this.
  2. Vernon Tce; sadly this is now a ‘dead issue’
  3. 20s plenty road campaign; one 2o zone will be put in place in the SWCA area – but not necessarily in Crosspool.
  4. Moor View (Gosney’s )farm; despite very worrying letters to the effect that demolition will take place on 30th April, Geoff was positive no application had even been received to do this, & Kate Mansell (planning) knows this is an important heritage site for Crosspool.
  5. Green garden waste; from 23rd April people can purchase clear sacks at £1.20 each & once filled can telephone for 5-10 to be collected by the Council. This is just for 2012, as in ’13 the Council hopes to introduce green bins. (Flytipping is recognized as a possible isse because of this).
  6. Recycling; once the black bin become a fortnightly collection people can choose which blue bin to use for which recycling – as long as they do not mix their waste.


Crosspool Festival; now in its 3rd year Sally Turnbull listed some of the events happening int he week 6th to 15th July – well dressing, open gardens, barn dance, organ recital, street market, cricket club open day, Tavern & Plough events, walks, harp recital, birds talk, gardeners’ question time, tea dance, harp recital etc! Residents will get a programme through their letterboxes in June.

Summer Fayre (14th July) – new events incl. Punch & Judy, American marching band & sumo wrestlers! Helpers please contact Ian Hague.

Car Boot Sale (16th June). – but not if its wet!

Queen’s Diamond Jubilee – look out for flags & flowers in the precinct!


  1. Ian Hague was thanked for his organization of the recent Salford Quays trip; it is to be hoped they can be more!
  2. Paula Stacey is re-opening the Crosspool craft shop.
  3. A new Crosspool Women’s s Institute group has started – see Twitter (Or Paula)
  4. Computer course; names to Ian Hague please if you would like to join the new courses.
  5. Event for 21013; it is hoped to mark Sheffield’ first-ever bus route – being the 51 to Crosspool – early in 2013. Watch this space!

The next Open Meeting will be Thurs, 26th July 2012. 7pm, St Columba’s.

Download April 26 2012 Open Meeting bullet points (PDF, 78KB)


Bullet points from Crosspool Forum Open Meeting, Thursday 27 January 2012

Download as a PDF (61KB)


Thursday 26 January 2012

35+ Crosspool residents, our three local councillors (Sylvia Anginotti Brian Holmes & Geoff Smith) and 8 members of the forum management committee, attended. Five Guest speakers gave presentations as follows:

Local Land release Consultation

Sarah Smith (Sheffield City Council Planning Dept.)

In order to fulfil its obligations to the Government, with regard to releasing Brownfield land for houses as Yorkshire Water has decommissioned Lydgate Reservoir (off Evelyn Rd), Hadfield Service Reservoir & Canterbury Crescent, the Council is seeking residents views on allowing these sites (among others throughout the city) to be developed for housing.

Two drop –in sessions – Thurs 2nd Feb (3pm-8prn) at Stephen Hill Methodist Church, and Fri 3rd Feb (2pm-7pm) Hallam Primary School- have been arranged for viewing the consultation documents. Comments to Planning in writing please, – emails, online via Sheffield City Council, or by post.

Police report

PC Louise Atha said that in April the boundaries will be changing, so she and her colleagues from Broomhill SNA will be dealing with Crosspool and Lodge Moor – from the bottom of Manchester Rd west (- with Broomhill itself becoming part of the city centre-). She reported on more Allotment break-ins and the re-opening of Operation Herbaceous to deal with this.

There are still Scrap-metal dealers cruising about, she is able to prosecute those without licences. There have been a few burglaries in the Sandygate area -with the object being to steal car keys and thus the cars. Please ensure you keep your property locked!

PCSO Garry Hizam showed a new device, the Hermes unit (laptop & scanner) which will allow any mobile unit to scan possibly stolen mobile phones etc. and return them to their registered owners. The Police Box on Lydgate Lane will be open for people to bring their mobiles etc in for registration – 9th Feb (6pm-7pm).

Queries from the floor included speeding cars – March Lane & Lydgate Lane, evening doorstep cold-callers (legitimate?) and a local mugging incident. PC Louise Atha was eager for any incident on any of the above to be reported to her immediately.

The Internet & Personal Safety

PC Joy Price, (Children & Young Persons Officer, Broomhill SNA) spoke about the dangers of social networking sites, and parental responsibilities to ensure all possible locks, safeguards and filters are active on their home computers and other internet devices – such as X boxes, Wii and Play Stations. She felt Blackberry phones in particular were very dangerous and should not be in children’s’ hands.

The sorts of slight disagreements which used to mean a brief verbal argument and short-lived physical tussle at school are now carried out online, by anonymous/authored verbal abuse, which ends up as a vicious circle that can’t easily be stopped. Parents must ensure under-13s cannot start a Facebook account, and do not post personal & intimate details about themselves – and photos too – on line. The internet is a candy-shop for paedophiles, as well as giving violent partners and estranged parents a means of access to their ex’s and kids.

Certain sites such as Chat Roulette or Formspring are to be avoided at all cost, and parents were urged only to use reputable websites such as those the BBC links to, for homework etc. The grooming of unsuspecting youngsters, and radicalization of young people in the` security’ of their own bedrooms was touched upon, and Joy concluded by saying we must remember the internet is another street, where you have to watch your back.

Councillors Questions

Geoff Smith is still trying to get an answer out of SYPTE with regard to the Vernon Terrace bus shelter. There is no more money for further micro-asphalting of local pavements so it is awaiting the start of the PFI Highways Initiative.

The ’20s Plenty’ road-speed campaign

Has been holding meetings, so please send your comments to Matthew Rush or Tammy Barrass, email or write to them at SWCA 82-84 Sheldon Rd, Sheffield S7 1 GX – before March.


Ian Hague reminded people of the: Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. (To mark this historic occasion, thanks to funding from the South West Community Assembly, the support of Norton Nurseries,  and the hard work of the Crosspool Forum, arrangements have been made for Patriotic Flags, Flower Tubs & Hanging Baskets to adorn the Crosspool shopping precinct over the summer months). Car boot sale Saturday 16th June. Crosspool Festival Week 7th  to 15th July. Coach trip in April for the Over-60s  to visit the new Mediacity studios at Salford Quays.

Download as a PDF (61KB)

Bullet points from Crosspool Forum Open Meeting/AGM, Thursday 27 October 2011

Open Meeting/AGM at St Columba's
Open Meeting/AGM at St Columba's

Download as a PDF (74KB)

Chairman’s report for the year (Ian Hague)

  1. Planning – Turner Investments application for enlarging Motorworld was declined.
  2. The Crosspool Clarion is still very successful – reaching over 2500 houses, & is self-funding.
  3. Crosspool.info webpage has become very popular.
  4. Computer courses – St Columbas Fri – go from strength to strength.A new course will start in Jan 2012 – names to Ian.
  5. SWCA meeting – next one Wesley Hall, Crookes, Dec 15th. Council Cabinet Members will be available from 5.45-6.45 for questions.
  6. Community skip today – successful
  7. The usual car boot sales, Crosspool Festival & Summer Fayre, Christmas trees & floral displays – winning Silver again!- & daffs & crocus planting on the verges. The Christmas trees will go up in early December – helpers please (keep an eye on web site for date).
  8. The Forum continues to look after Hagg Copse.
  9. Stephen Hill/Benty Lane junction still on the agenda – hope to have a report in the next Open Meeting.
  10. Council grant for 20 Union flags & poles – to decorate the precinct in time for the 2012 Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and Olympic games.

Treasurer’s Report (Chris Batchelor)

Our bank account remains healthy– but this is because the grant for the flags has yet to be spent, and next years’ summer flowers will need to be paid for.

Crosspool Festival

This will start on 7th July with Crosspool Open Gardens, and end with the Summer Fayre on Sat 14th, & Open Air service on Sun 15th. The Festival Committee would like some more helpers – please contact Rev Frances Eccleston or Ian.

Police Report (Pc Louise Atha & Pc Dave Hall)

  1. Allotment break-ins – especially to the society’s hut & container, from which several hundreds of pounds were taken, & a lot of mess caused. Residents were urged to post the serial numbers of eg lawnmowers and similar equipment on the website www.immobilize.com so stolen items can be traced back to them. Operation Herbaceous is in place to try to stop this.
  2. Scrap metal & lead nicking; Operation Anchor has been targeting & stopping suspicious vehicles in Dore & Totley (19) and Bramall Lane & Ecclesall Rd (34) – & prosecuting those with unroadworthy vans or no waste carrying licences.
  3. Car crime; there have been some break-ins to vehicles on Crookes/Crookesmoor. Residents were urged not to leave satnav cradles on display.
  4. Operation Dark Nights is about to begin for Halloween & Bonfire Night, & shops being checked to ensure no underage sale of alcohol or fireworks is taking place.

Questions were taken on verge bollard use, bad parking on Manchester rd & the proposed closure of Manchester road round Stephen Hill, Delph Hse Rd & Selborne Rd for resurfacing.

Councillors’ Question time (Sylvia Anginotti, Brian Holmes & Geoff Smith)

Councillors answered questions such as a query on attic extension building and trespass by a neighbour, bus timetabling & the new Optio scheme (voluntary partnership agreement between Stagecoach & First – nos. 120 & 52 buses), and why the 51 never seems to come on time!

Residents were asked to keep details of timetabling failures & send them on to Ian Hague, or direct by phone to Pam Horner (SYPTE External Relationships Manager – 0114 2211452).

There were concerns over poor bus lane signage (Ripley St), silly bus lane sections (Mushroom Lane head), and why the 120 stop in town is Flat St & not the Interchange. The Vernon Tce bus shelter issue was raised again – & Cllr Anginotti suggested an online petition direct to Council about this.

Residents asked whether the post box could be moved from outside Craft Angels to a less congested spot in the shopping precinct, but this has been requested before & Royal Mail say they can not do so.

There was also a request to have the word ‘SLOW’ painted at the bottom of Sandygate Rd hill, where drivers come round the bend to the zebra crossing.


  1. A special limited edition of Crosspool cards is available from Craft Angels – £2.50 per pack.
  2. There will be a Christmas Disco at St Columba’s on 4th Dec; tickets from the Crosspool Pet Shop. Father Christmas will be there!
  3. The Sheffield to Castleton & Bakewell bus (operated by Derbyshire County Council) that runs along Manchester rd is to change to number 273/4/5.
  4. Ian Hague is hoping to get funding for an over-60s trip …. music will be involved!
  5. Green Garden Waste bags; remember the last collection will be the week starting 31st Oct. A report on all aspects of waste collection throughout the city is expected, so until this is published there will be no green waste collections.
  6. The Rivelin Valley Conservation Group has been given a Lifetime Achievement Award (collected by Graham Appleby & Keith Kendall).

The next Open Meeting will be Thursday, 26 January 2012. 7pm, St Columba’s.

Download as a PDF (74KB)

Bullet points from Crosspool Forum Open Meeting, Thursday 28 July 2011

Crosspool Forum Open Meeting, July 2011
Crosspool Forum Open Meeting, July 2011

The bullet points from last week’s meeting are below. You can also download them as a PDF.

Everyone is welcome to attend the Open Meetings. The next is on 27 October 2011, 7pm, at St Columba’s.

Crosspool Forum Open Meeting 28 July 2011 bullet points PDF (70KB)

Bullet points from Crosspool Forum Open Meeting, Thursday 28 July 2011

Matters arising and Chairman’s report

  1. Funding has been granted for another computer course – start date 9th Sep 2011. As before an entry level course and an advanced course (spreadsheets, emails & the internet). Names to Ian Hague ASAP. If interested.
  2. A car boot sale is expected to take place on 10th Sep, Crosspool Tavern car park as usual.
  3. The Crosspool Festival was a great success – the Open Gardens took £2000, the pie & pea supper £230, the picnic in the park £300, and Summer Fayre £900. All this will go to charities and to Crosspool community use
  4. Diamond Jubilee year 2012; Ian has secured some funding for flags and flowers ot mark both the Queen’s Jubilee and the London Olympics year.
  5. The next Clarion will be out in a few weeks time; residents to send in any articles or ask these to be posted on the webpage
  6. The ‘Crosspool Harvest’ scheme has a new name – Hillside Harvest – & an allotment site on Hagg Hill. The Forum is still looking after Hagg Copse.

There was no Treasurer’s report at this meeting and no police presence.

Councillors’ Report (Geoff Smith)

A lot of reviews and strategy meetings have been taking place in the Counci, and of interest to Crosspool are the following:

  1. Broomhill air pollution issues; by the autumn they hope to have a strategy in place including ensuring vehicles with fewer emissions are using the Crooked hill gradient, and tackling the food outlet problems.
  2. Mayfield Valley lorry problem; the Council is working with freight operators to designate.routes throughout Sheffield so that problems are not just moved from one road to another equally bad.
  3. “Twenty’s plenty” campaign; a strategy is being developed to look, first, at making this the speed limit for roads round schools, and then secondly to work with Highways PFI to extend this further to other streets, from the autumn.
  4. Stephen Hill/Benty Lane junction; after a survey the report is imminent.
  5. Household waste review; the black bins will still be collected weekly, and blue ones fortnightly. In the trial areas of Sheffield where householders were allowed to choose which blue bin to hold which waste only 16 percent altered their use! This will not be extended, so Crosspool will use the wheeled blue bin for alu, steel cans, glass & plastic still.

Mr Smith listened to questions and arguments from the floor about commuter parking (from Derbyshire) on Crosspool streets, and local school car use (teachers & pupils). Erecting meters around Crosspool was suggested. He had not been aware of the long-standing Vernon Terrace bus shelter issue, but will take it on board. Residents are eager to see a satisfactory conclusion to this.

Guest speakers: magistrates Andrew Bentley, Anthea Peers and Grant Laughton

Magistrates at Crosspool Forum Open Meeting, July 2011
Magistrates at Crosspool Forum Open Meeting, July 2011

The JPs from Sheffield gave a most illuminating talk about the role of magistrates in the community, how the judgement is essentially fair and peer-led.

  • Almost anyone can apply to be trained to be a magistrate – age 18-70 – and can expect to be asked to sit on the bench for 26-35 half-day sittings a year. ( Employers are however not obliged to cover the expenses of their employees, which can be a problem).
  • The origins of the magistrate system go back to 1195 in this country, and there are now Adult, Youth & Family courts in operation, with 2 or 3 justices sitting in each court.
  • Sadly some 60-65 percent of the cases in front of them are drug-related, and the officers have the discretion to pass a serious case on to the Crown Court, or to hear the case and to discharge, fine (up to £5000), impose a community order (of up to 360 hours) or send to prison (up to 6 months) those found guilty. There is a large guideline document on sentencing and their powers, but discretion and common sense are also important – fining a youth with no money makes no sense, if it is the parents who will have to pay!
  • The justices regularly visit the local prisons and stressed they are not pleasant or comfortable places – indeed can be very intimidating, very smelly and noisy! – but neither is a community sentence a soft option.
  • Motoring offences were discussed, how all cautions etc stay on the individual’s permanent record for life, and how “crime does not pay” – the court will investigate thoroughly and claim back any proceeds from crime.
  • It was stressed that a motorist must be parked, with the car engine switched off, before using a mobile phone; penalties for misuse are about to be increased.
  • The main speed cameras in Sheffield are at Parkway Bernard Rd, Penistone Rd & Queen’s Rd (Earl of Arundel box junction).


The No. 51 outbound bus from town now runs from a stop outside HSBC (along with the 52) – though residents still feel there can be 3 x 52s in a row waiting so there’s a real worry of the 51 overtaking them & not picking travellers up!

Next meeting

The next Open Meeting will be 27 October 2011, 7pm, at St Columba’s.

Download the Summer 2011 Crosspool Clarion now

The new edition of the Crosspool Clarion is going to press and will soon be falling on the doormats of all Crosspool households.

Crosspool Clarion Summer 2011
Download Crosspool Clarion Summer 2011 (PDF, 1.5MB)

The latest issue includes:

  • HGV Sat Navs
  • New local Councillor
  • Tapton Academy
  • Pupil wins award
  • Lydgate Lane closure
  • Centenary Walk
  • Spring Clean
  • Hallam FC anniversary match
  • Mobile Library Service Cut
  • Royal Wedding Street Parties in Crosspool
  • Computer Course
  • Neighbourhood Watch
  • Open Meeting Minutes

Download Crosspool Clarion Summer 2011 (PDF, 1.5MB)

Some back issues of past editions of the Crosspool Clarion are also available to download.

The Crosspool Clarion is the official newsletter of Crospool Forum. It is a free, quarterly publication, with over 2,500 copies delivered to local households.

If you are a local business then you may wish to consider advertising in the Clarion. It is a great way to reach over local households. Contact Clarion editor Ian Hague for more information.

To read PDFs on your computer, you may need to first download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Bullet points from Crosspool Forum Open Meeting, Monday 9 May 2011

Download as a Word document (41KB)

Matters arising & Chairman’s report

  1. More scrap dealers cruising the area – Pc Louise Atha to be informed.
  2. Crookes/Whitham Rd junction traffic problems? The severe pollution caused at this junction is a serious issue that wants immediate attention. Cllr Holmes is awaiting a response from Pam Horner (PTES) and the newly-re-organized Planning Board decision.
  3. Crosspool is entering ‘Sheffield in Bloom’ again – look out for the tubs & baskets! The Forum will need to acquire funding next year if it is to pay for a 2012 display – for the Diamond Jubilee!
  4. Internet computer course – this started on Fri 6th (St Columbas; 9.30-2pm.) Some places are still available.
  5. Car Boot Sale (profits to Weston Park Hospital) – 11th June. (the ‘Tavern’ car park as usual).
  6. Darwin House Open Day – 18th June
  7. Motorworld site planning permission (Turner Investments)  – this has been refused  by the Planning Inspectorate.
  8. Crosspool Centenary Walk – starting at the Tavern 12 noon on 30th July. Please cheer the 3 walkers on (or join them!)in their huge walk for Weston Park.
  9. Mayfield Valley lorries – a resident there is starting a campaign to prevent satnavs allowing inappropriately  huge vehicles from trying to squeeze down the lanes.

Police issues

As Pc Atha was on leave there was no report, but residents made the following points to be passed on to her – as well as point 1 above.

  1. Drug dealers using the ginnel at the top of Delph House Rd – this is to stopped.
  2. ‘20s plenty’ local speed campaign progress? After the local elections this is waiting until the Planning Boards have been re-organized.
  3. Wooden verge bollards – are more needed at the top of Stephen Hill? There is still some verge parking on that very dangerous road.
  4. Stephen Hill/Manchester Rd/Benty Lane junction – survey conclusions? This junction must be sorted out.

Councillors’ Report (Brian Holmes and Geoff Smith)

New Cllr Geoff Cox was welcomed, & said he was still in a ‘listening mode’, but hopes to get his contact details out to the public ASAP .

Residents being able to choose for themselves what to use their recycling bin BLUE BINS & BLUE BOXES for may start on 23rd May – watch this space!

The proposed hessian bag GREEN GARDEN WASTE SCHEME is not now happening – green bags are available once more from eg the libraries for green waste. At the moment the ‘winter’ scheme of residents ‘phoning to arrange collection is still in force – this may take 21 days. Cllrs agreed that re-opening the Botanical Gardens cafe was a high priority.

Treasurer’s Report

There is sufficient in  the ‘kitty’ to cover this year’s flowers, but (see above) grants will be needed for future projects

Crosspool Festival

Rev Frances Eccleston reported that  the Festival will open with Crosspool Open Gardens on Sat 2nd July, a Street Market on Sun 3rd, and 0 after a range of day & evening events – end with the Summer Fayre on Sat 9th & Picnic in the Park (Lydgate Green) on Sun 10th. More volunteers still warmly welcomed!

Digital Switchover report

Carrie McKenzie (Voluntary Action Sheffield) said that all old TVs & aerials should work fine with the new digital signal. People receiving TV through SKY dishes or by cable will not be affected at all when the analogue signal is switched off, but if TV comes via an aerial some form of ‘digibox’ for the new freeview 15 channels will be needed.  If residents get  their TV signals from the Crookes transmitter then BBC2 will disappear on 10th Aug (& the other channels two weeks later) – if from Emley Moor BBC2 will go on 7th Sep (& the others on 21st) and if from Belmont (not very likely in this area) 3rd August (& 17th).  Residents over 75 will have received a letter already asking them whether they need an installer to call & tune their sets in – if they biined this by accidents further letters will be sent!  Video recorders will still work to play old videos, but not record any longer..


  1. Cold callers – (Pat of Neighbourhood Watch) said the digital switchover might mean scams with callers pretending new aerials are needed. The real switchover installers will have contacted households ahead & made an appointment.
  2. Guests for next Open Meeting – Ian Hague will try to get a Magistrate to attend (having been at a very interesting meeting re sentencing etc).
  3. Old ‘Threshers’ shop? No-one had any information on this site.
  4. Local King Edwards schoolgirl Alicia Cannon has been named as winner of the Big Challenge for her fund-raising work for Weston Park.
  5. Crosspool litter pick (2nd April) – thank you to everyone who attended, and helped pick up 9 bags of rubbish! A special thank you to a Tapton girl & her Essex friend for their assistance!
  6. School involvement in the Open Meetings? The Forum would like to hear from anyone in Tapton or King Edwards who would like to speak at the Meetings – to give their points of view on their community.

Next Open Meeting will be on Thursday 28 July 2011, at St Columba’s, 7pm.

Bullet points from Crosspool Forum Open Meeting, Thursday 27 January 2011

Download as a Word document (30KB)

Matters arising & Chairman’s report

Unfortunately due to an unforeseen commitment, Ian was unable to be at Thursday’s meeting and sent his apologies.

In his absence the meeting was left in the capable hands of Roger, Chris and Steve.

  1. The usual spring-flowering bulbs were planted round Crosspool in the autumn of 2010.

Police report & incidents

  1. A new email etc newsletter is being produced by the Broomhill SNA; anyone interested can fill in a Neighbourhood News form & email/send it back to the police. Gary Hizam hopes to have enough forms to include one in the next edition of every Clarion.
  2. Watch out for an illegitimate door-to-door salesman ( – selling sticky tape & pens!); remember to check peoples’ ID.
  3. Recent police monitoring of the Crosspool shops caught a cannabis dealer. Residents are to report any suspicious behaviour to the Broomhill police on 296 4876 or use the 220 2020 number.
  4. There is a new anti-social behaviour car that patrols the streets at night; this can be deployed instantly once a problem is reported.
  5. Scrap-collecting vehicles; the scrap dealers are now targeting houses – eg flat roofs to porches & bay windows. Please report any suspicious van registration numbers for PC Louise Atha’s database.
  6. Vernon Tce in-bound bus –stop. After a meeting with the schools, PTE & police about the unruly behaviour of children waiting to catch a bus into town at the end of the school day, the PTE is considering whether to de-commission this stop during that time.
  7. Levels of crime; burglaries have been low but opportunistic car crime is still happening. (The Broomhill SNA has some packs of internal-use Smartwater still available).

Councillors’ Report (Sylvia Anginotti & Brian Holmes)

  1. Junction of Benty Lane/Manchester Rd/ Stephen Hill; a Highways Officer will survey this shortly.
  2. The crossroads formed by Sandygate Rd. Coldwell Lane and Carsick Hill Rd was the subject of a Tapton School survey, and a request made for a crossing here. This has been turned down.
  3. Pot holes; residents were requested to telephone Streetforce to report these (273 4567) as soon as possible. A large team is going round Sheffield filling them in.
  4. Despite the reduction in the amount of money available from the Government to repair all Sheffield’s roads (and it being 12 months behind schedule), this ‘fence to fence’ initiative will cover footpaths, verges, trees, street lighting & highways – and roads are already being prioritised for this work.

Treasurer’s Report & Crosspool Festival etc

The treasurer reported that the Crosspool Forum has 1 bank balance of £2430, having paid for last summer’s floral displays. The 2011 Crosspool Festival will of ahead again, starting on 2nd July with the Open Gardens, a ‘Crosspool’s got Talent’ show, a streetmarket (3rd), art exhibition (4th onwards), local walks, kids’ treasure hunt, folk evening, ceilidh, Summer Fayre at Coldwell Lane, and then ending with a Sunday open air service at Lydgate Green. Any ideas, art works for the exhibition and offers of help for the Festival and Fayre warmly welcomed.

Crosspool Harvest Project

After a difficult winter the Harvest organizers now have 20 families, both Lydgate Schools, and the Council on board. They hope to find a piece of suitable land, or several smaller sites, on which to start their small-scale, local food-growing cooperative. Please see crosspoolharvest.org.uk for further information.


  1. Tree removal on Den Bank – these were apparently diseased, but will be replaced.
  2. Ditto Stephen Drive – although one area appears to have been asphalted over!
  3. ‘Twenty is Plenty’ campaign; the decision whether our local streets should be a max. of 20mph has been delegated to the SWCA. Anyone wishing to see a particular street part of this should contact the Forum or their Councillors.
  4. Dog waste bins; there appears to be a problem with non-collecting of their pets’ waste again! The Council is hoping to order 100 more bins, but as these cost about £400 p.a. each this might need to wait.
  5. Council heavy pruning & clearing of the bench-area at the top of Stephen Hill. There was a suggestion the Forum might ‘adopt’ this bit if green space (like it has done of Hagg Copse).
  6. ‘Dig for Charity’ – a local King Edwards’ pupil, Alicia Cannon (12) is running a project selling 5 packets of veg seeds for £2.50 – profits to Weston Park Hospital. Please see her website digforcharity.co.uk for further details.

Next Open Meeting will be on Monday 9th May 2011, at St Columba’s, 7pm

Minutes from Crosspool Forum seventh AGM and Open Meeting, 28 October 2010

Below is a bullet point summary of Thursday’s meeting. Extended minutes can also be downloaded.

Download full AGM/Open Meeting minutes (Word document, 20KB)

Matters arising and Chairman’s report

  1. Second computer course (St Columba’s) very successful
  2. More spring bulbs have been planted. Christmas trees are expected to be erected in early December.
  3. Crosspool Forum website has really taken off – thank you to Robin Byles
  4. Another successful Summer Fayre and first-time Crosspool Festival; both are planned to continue next year – helpers and ideas please
  5. The Crosspool Harvest scheme has had some set backs but hopes to rally
  6. The Motor World site (Turner Investments) – planning officer recommends refusal
  7. The Forum Committee still has a vacancy for one more member.
  8. Treasurer’s Report and balance sheet was presented.
  9. Police report and incidents -PCSO Garry Hizam
  10. Graffiti artists have been making reparation – ‘restorative justice’
  11. The week beginning 1 November the police will be cracking-down on school childrens’ behaviour in the Crosspool shops area
  12. Operation Dark Night from 31 October to 5 November will target disruptive behaviour.

Environmental Enforcement Officer (Sheffield City Council) – Andrew Ashforth

  1. Crosspool shops and business correct waste-disposal project. All businesses must have special arrangements for the removal of their non-domestic waste, and ensure the rear of their property is kept clean and tidy, as well as the front.
  2. Scrap collecting vehicles – in four days Andrew has stopped and searched 6 of these. Householders (arranging for eg fridges to be removed) must ensure the company they deal with has the correct licence to do this work – or will be held liable of the item is then fly-tipped.
  3. Tyres are not to be put in skips – the skip companies will give advice on their disposal.
  4. Wheelie bins must be removed from the highway as soon as possible after emptying – residents can be fined if they persist in not doing so.
  5. Portable CCTV cameras – Sheffield City Council have a few available they can fix on lampposts to target fly-tipping sites.
  6. Nuisance bonfires on allotments to the rear of gardens; talk to the allotment association chair about getting all the allotment owners to have one big fire rather that lots of little ones, or composting the waste.
  7. Should residents wish to contact Andrew at the council, his telephone number is 0114 293 0347.

Garden Waste scheme (green bags)

This scheme is being phased out and shortly no more green bags will be available. After 8 November residents will need to phone up for the next date of full bag collection in this area, but from February 2011 a waxed/hessian bag scheme may be in place; these will be reuseable.

Anyone needing more green bags this autumn and winter – or indeed with far too many unused ones! – to contact the Clarion so these bags can be put to good use and not wasted.


  1. Vernon Terrace bus shelter – no further information.
  2. Crosspool Tavern old car park entrance – this should have been ‘greened over’ a year or so back – this will be chased up.
  3. Benty Lane/Manchester Road junction; an urgent Highways engineer’s visit is requested; a ‘no right turn’ onto Manchester Road sign, or mini roundabout is needed here.
  4. Crosspool Coffee Shop – an application to allow this to become a house has been accepted.

Download full AGM/Open Meeting 28 October 2010 minutes (Word document, 20KB)

PCSO Garry Hizam and Andrew Ashforth
PCSO Garry Hizam and Andrew Ashforth
Crosspool Forum AGM/Open Meeting
Crosspool Forum AGM/Open Meeting

Bullet points from second Open Meeting regarding proposed convenience store

Special Open Meeting re Planning Application 10/02657/FUL – Motor World shop site, 340 Lydgate Lane
St Columba’s Church Hall; Thursday 21 October September 2010

Minutes also available to download as a Word document (17KB)

Present: Ian Hague, Gillian D; Steve R; Sandra C; Ian Jenkinson; Chris Batchelor (Crosspool Forum committee); Cllr Brian Holmes; Cllr Sylvia Anginotti; Iain Grayson, local residents and shopkeepers.

Apologies: Rev Frances Eccleston; Andy Grayson

Ian Hague (Forum Chair) welcomed everyone, reminding them of discussions at the first meeting on 3 September 2010 and their election of Iain and Andrew Grayson to represent the views of the Crosspool community at the Sheffield City Council Planning Meeting. Ian explained that before submitting their presentation, Iain and Andy would like to ensure that the majority view was still the same. He then invited Iain G. to take the floor.

Iain Grayson said the Council had received over 160 letters of objection to Turner Investment’s plans, and a few letters of support . The Council had had to extend the date for the objections, but just before the closing date IG had been told there were no plans to submit this application to the Planning Board. He therefore contacted Janice Sidebottom (Chair of the SW planning board) and requested the application went before them. She agreed to do so and everyone was encouraged to attend the meeting on Tuesday 2 November at 2pm in the Town Hall, Pinstone Street.

Obviously Turner Investments would seek to sell the site on once they had planning permission but their biggest weakness is access and parking. Somehow a rumour started that Tesco Express had asked the Council to sell it the lower part of Lydgate Green for a car park. IG, as a Friend of Lydgate Green, wrote immediately to Paul Scriven, (leader of the Council), and received an overnight reply that this rumour was without foundation; the Council could not sell this green space, which had been given to the people of Crosspool by the Graves Trust.

By this Tuesday, planning officer Sarah Hallam must make a representation as to whether she supports the scheme or not. If she does, the community may have a battle on its hands, but if not the scheme will most probably be defeated. Careful not to be emotive, IG and Andy will be at the 2nd November meeting to give a five minute presentation on planning law, the possible impact on the local community and the environment. He believes it’s naive to say there are no health and safety issues with regard to the access (corner site, backing into the traffic, school children walking past etc) and has been up at Crookes to see at first hand the chaos there when delivery lorries attempt to deliver to the Co-op and Sainsbury’s, at the same time.

Various members of the public spoke from the floor with concerns and comments as follows:

  • A lady wished to stress the busy nature of the crossing with the schoolchildren.
  • Flat tenant said that Motor World had been put into administration a year ago and since bought out. Rental for the site £5,000 per month. If Turners wanted Motor World out quickly they would need to pay £60,000. Presently the shop has very low footfall.
  • Although she appreciated that her idea might considered be a red herring, a lady asked whether it would be possible for the community to purchase the lease and then let the shop to a sympathetic concern
  • It was mentioned that of course Turner Investments may well resubmit the plans in a different form if this does not go through -so residents will have to be vigilant
  • Sandra pointed out that cash-rich Tesco is very ready to buy any plots of land that may come up, just in case they may be able to get planning permission in years to come.
  • The possibility of insisting on a site visit was raised; Sylvia said sometimes the planners do go ahead without actually visiting sites! IG agreed, he had the distinct impression the planners had been prepared to let it go ahead without one.
  • The flat owner said he knew the Highways Agency had been asked to submit a report, but as far as he was aware this is not yet available online. IG agreed to phone to ask why. He felt that even if the plans were scaled back Turners would try to say the four car parking spaces were sufficient, so the impossibility of pulling out backwards onto the main road at a junction must be pointed out.
  • A gentleman agreed we need real statistics for this – e.g. near-misses of cars and other traffic/pedestrians, number of school children, parents and siblings in buggies going past, both to get to and from school and at lunchtime. There are four schools in the vicinity and a supermarket will be a magnet to the Tapton pupils. There could well be 500+ children. Sadly, two of the schools are now closed for half-term, so any counting at the moment would not be accurate.
  • The reason behind the closure of the original car park turn from Manchester Road into the Croospool Tavern parking area was discussed. Ian H said that the access drive was due to be grassd over two years ago as part ofthe S10 corridor scheme, but had never got done (taxis etc are known to drive in and reverse out into the traffic). The Councillors agreed to find out what status this grassing over was at – red, amber or green.
  • A lady mentioned the Lydgate Junior School survey a couple of week ago, where pupils were asking shoppers questions about their use of the area. It was suggested the schools themselves be more involved – perhaps even to present something to the Council.
  • Shops’ petition? It will help to keep the momentum up and also people focussed, but every petition just counts as one objection. Involve the press?
  • The gentleman who had mentioned the Lydgate Hall gates asked again whether these could be listed, and even though Turner’s architects were prepared to move them into Lydgate Green people wanted them to stay where they were.
  • The flat tenant has photos of blockages in front of the premises (brewery delivery vehicle and bin lorries).

Ian ended the meeting, concluding that the majority were still opposed to the planning application, primarily on the grounds of health and safety, and that there was a Crosspool Forum Open Meeting, on Thursday 28 October 2010.

Download 21/9/10 Open Meeting minutes as a Word document (17KB)

Minutes from Open Meeting regarding proposed convenience store

Special Open Meeting re Planning Application 10/02657/FUL – Motor World shop site, 340 Lydgate Lane
St Columba’s Church Hall; Friday 3 September 2010

Minutes also available as a Word document (34KB)

PRESENT: Ian Hague, Gillian D, Steve R; Joan C.; Sandra C; Roger K, Faye B (Crosspool Forum committee); Cllr Brian Holmes and 58 local residents and shopkeepers.

Ian welcomed everyone, & opened the Meeting by explaining that Turner Investments (who used to own GT News) have submitted an application (ref. as above) to Sheffield City Council Planning Dept.

They wish to enlarge the present shop (Motor World) to the side and rear, and change the use of flat above, making the site better financially, with the probability of offering it to interested parties for use as a convenience store.

The wording on their applicant states the development would be “small scale”, attracting only “local customers”, that at present there are “adequate parking facilities” for the development, and there would be no significant increase in customer footfall.

Deliveries would arrive at the front – where the parking is – & they believe this would not adversely affect the other shops in the Crosspool precinct. Ian has had numerous letters, emails & phone calls from concerned residents, so called this meeting. Will this development jeopardize the viability and vitality of the precinct and cause traffic congestion?

No-one from Turners was present at this meeting, so speculation as to it becoming a Tesco or Sainsbury’s was irrelevant.

Various members of the public spoke from the floor with concerns as follows:

  1. Crosspool already has two ‘dead’ shops; any new ones need to complement the existing & not detract.
  2. Parking outside the shop can not be adequate – the surrounding streets already have parking problems (especially Lydgate Hall Cres,) & this will be exacerbated. The implied assumption in the planning wording that there is adequate car parking is wrong.
  3. Access to parking – cars need to drive in & reverse out onto the A57 Manchester Rd – a very busy street.
  4. Safety issues; this means that reversing vehicles will cross the footway – already a dangerous route for schoolchildren going to Lydgate Primary and Lydgate Junior Schools. Cars coming up from Broomhill would do a right turn (not just a brief hover & quick turn up Lydgate Lane – which in itself is quite a blind corner – but possibly a long wait to see if they could park outside the shop – off the A57). (It has been noted that the recent road closure at the bottom of the A57 by the Broomhill lights caused a definite decrease in traffic and general noise – planning officers visiting when the road works are over would notice a difference)
  5. Corner site; the Motor World site is on a corner (junction of Lydgate Lane and Manchester Rd) & this development would be too large for such a tricky site.
  6. Deliveries- as at Crookes (outside Sainsbury’s) a delivery lorry will occupy the whole of the 3 parking spaces. If a ‘convenience store’ takes the site it may want to open from 7am to 11pm – so customers and deliveries could be at all hours – badly affecting the residents of Lydgate Hall Cres, Lydgate Lane & Manchester Rd.
  7. Shop size; Motor World is a small shop, but the proposed one would be much larger. The nature of the whole precinct of Crosspool is such that only “local shops” would fit in (see UDP & new SDP). (Broomhill is classed as a “district centre”)
  8. Consultation time for local residents; this has been too short. The original time given was the first week of Aug to first week of Sep – right in the holiday season! However as the notices only went up on 28th or 29th Aug & the bottom ten houses on Lydgate Hall Cres only received their letters on 19th or 20th Aug. the Council has agreed to postpone the final date to receive comments to 17th September 2010.
  9. Loss of local history; the remaining feature of ‘Lydgate Hall’ is the gate posts, which at the moment still stand on their original site beside Motor World. (See Judith Hanson’s most recent book for photos). These must be preserved & preferably in their present site. There is no mention of this in the application, and Turners did not know of their existence! The planning dept. should also have known of them!
  10. Change of use; the present site has one residential unit (flat) with large garden & private parking; garage and shop. The new development would increase the floor space by 180 per cent not therefore the stated “small and modest” but huge! This would in no way “fit and compliment” the local area, with a great glass shop front wall & sliding doors.
  11. Nuisance factor – the deliveries at all hours, long opening hours & therefore customer feet & voices, & potential for litter, are all of concern. The long hours that Spar opens and the restaurants in the precinct are cope-able with as there are not so many dwellings round them.
    (Brian agreed to chase up issues with Environmental Health that a lady raised, and the rubbish round the back of the shops at Selborne Rd).
  12. Local knowledge? Will the planners actually visit the area (especially during school-traffic times – and study the site? There are a lot of elderly people in this area who rely on the small shops staying open, as they often have no cars, and need the community spirit, which Crosspool has to remain.
  13. School lunchtimes; local residents already have serious issues with the Tapton & King Edwards school sites, especially at lunch time, when the precinct is felt to be overrun by children and not a particularly pleasant place to be in. Yet another shop selling snacks & food would only make this worse – & the busy road that needs to be crossed to reach the proposed site would be a problem – jay walking etc (which already goes on).

Two people can be elected by the local residents to attend the planning meeting and speak, although many more can attend just to observe and listen.

Objections should be sent (preferably individual letters – as these carry more weight- but petitions too) as soon as possible to Ms Sarah Hallam, Development Management, Howden House, 1 Union St, Sheffield S1 2HH. These must be objective and to the point – not emotive; the incorrect assumptions of Turners Investment must be pointed out, and unsustainability of the plan. The objectors to the Commonside/Walkley proposed Tesco have advised people that the traffic and safety issues are very important to bring to planners’ attention.

You can also comment on the planning application using the Council website.

A resident said that John Hesketh has emailed him and has spoken to Janice Sidebottom who says this application needs to go to a Public Planning Committee (which she will chair). There appears to be a groundswell of opposition already. People were asked to email Janice to insist that this application goes to the Committee.

Another pointed out that there was massive objection to the Bellway Homes development on Sandygate Rd but the planners pushed this through. He asked people to watch out for parallel applications & not just to assume if the first round was won there would not be a second application with slight alterations. Some of the shopkeepers present agreed to start petitions for signatures. Ian Hague will ensure information goes on the Crosspool website, and asked whether people felt a special leaflet drop to all Crosspool houses would be a good idea. Any new volunteers to deliver these leaflets will be very welcome.

The two closed shops were then briefly discussed; the lady who is supervisor at Spar did not know whether Spar held a lease on these two, to prevent another off-licence opening up. As the lease of at least one is coming up for renewal it is thought another company wants to take one on for a wine shop.

The meeting concluded with two residents – Ian & Andy – being voted to attend the Planning Meeting as reps for the community, and they have already started work on a document to present at this. They will also draft the leaflet to get to Ian Hague as soon as possible for immediate printing & delivery. The Meeting may be at the end of Sept; once details are known another local meeting can be arranged.

The Meeting closed.

Download a copy of these minutes (Word, 34KB)

Comment on the planning application using the Council website